The road network in Turkey is excellent. There are sign boards on highways and all major roads to indicate the towns and turns. In Turkey, you have to drive on the right side of the road. It is of help if you know a few basic Turkish words, such as Mortorin (Diesel), Cikis (exit), Yacas (slow) Tekyon (one way) and Girilmez (No entry).
When renting a car for Turkey, there are a few questions that often arise.
- Car Type - Majority of the cars available are with manual transmission. But, you can ask for cars with automatic transmission as well.
- Driving License -A foreign license is valid only up to 90 days here. If you plan to stay back for long, then you need to possess international driving permit.
- Speed Limits - Over-speeding is an offence in Turkey. The speed limits vary in different areas. However, average speed limit for cars is 120km/h on motorway, 50Km/h in busy areas and around 90Km/h in remote areas with lesser traffic inflow.
- Payment for Rental Car - Only a small amount needs to be paid at the time of booking, the rest of the money is to be paid at the time of pick-up.
- Age Limit to Drive a Car in Turkey - The minimum age to drive a car in Turkey is 18 years.